Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Awww...a Massage...

Recently I've been feeling tired, sore, and run down. It feels as though my body is letting me down and just 2 weeks shy of my Strongman competition. As a female competitor it is necessary that I am able to perform at peak conditions. I can leave nothing to chance or injury. So, I decided to get a massage to alleviate some pain I had been feeling in my left shoulder, right knee, and later I would find out my QL. I could only describe this pain to my massage therapist as an aching deep in my hip. She was able to find the exact location and work on it. Its located between my last vertebrae and rib and is known as the quadratus lumborum. After an hour of being worked on I left my massage session feeling completely revived and ready to train a few more times before the big day. Not only did I learn about this deep muscle that had been plaguing me, I also learned about all the other benefits of a massage. Now I've made the decision to get one atleast once a week; yes folks, they are that important and they feel so good!!!

TOP 10 REASONS TO GET A MASSAGE:

1. A massage brings great relaxation and leaves your mind and body at ease.

2. You will experience pain reduction in the lower back area, relief of migraine headaches, neck aches, shoulder pain, overused or sore muscles, arthritis, Fibromyalgia, and muscle injuries.

3. Massage provides enormous stress reduction, lessening your muscle tension and lowering your blood pressure, increasing your mental clarity, mental alertness and revitalizes your mind. A massage can also increase academic performance and ability to focus on calculations.

4. Massage therapy and bodywork improves immune system functioning while relieving muscle aches and stiffness. They enhance tissue elasticity and joint flexibility; improves blood and lymph circulation; and promotes healthy vibrant skin.

5. A massage is an alternative to dealing with depression. Massage therapy increases self-esteem, improves your mood, decreases depression, reduces anxiety, and quiets insomnia. Massage can also ease PMS symptoms.

6. Massage therapy speeds healing of muscles, tissues, and skin. They are great for post-workouts, post-surgery, and muscle soreness in general.

7. Massage therapy is perfect for everyone...those physically fit, those who are athletes, elderly, pre/post-surgery. Its wonderful for improving motor skills and helps to maintain posture in the skeletal system, and increased flexibility.

8. Massages flush away waste products from your muscle, tissues, and skin more easily. This helps digestive disorders.

9. Massage therapy stimulates skin gland production, leaving clear, healthy skin. This will help to reduce superficial scar tissue, improving skin conditions.

10. Better overall health investment, maintenance of optimal health.

No comments: